Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sully Baseball Presents ANOTHER RACIAL NEUTRAL CARTOON



Two weeks ago, I honored those racial neutral cartoons that were on the back of the 1980 Topps Cards.

Specifically I found one that turned Cliff Johnson into a white dude.




Today let's take a look at another one...





Dave Parker, one of the best players in the late 1970s had a cartoon on his card.




And it isn't a general baseball pose.
It's a specific cartoon for Parker.

The sign the cartoon fan is holding up says "DAVE."

And yet it's a white guy!

That's basically a decision by the artist.
"I know it's the Cobra... but I am going to draw him like Potsie Webber."

This bothered me when I was 8.
I am not letting go!!!

4 comments:

  1. Well technically, the dude in the cartoon is blue.

    Maybe the cartoonist is trying to say that Cobra is Krishna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only did the artist ignore his ethnicity, but even worse he gave him skinny arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the worst is the 54 joe black. the cartoon on the back says he was "bought" by brooklyn. not his rights or contract, but joe black himself was purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:09 AM

    Clearly the cartoonist only knows how to draw one type of person. I bet when he draws women they look like "Dave Parker" too!

    ReplyDelete