Sunday, March 21, 2010

I think I am going to root for Kansas State to get to the Final Four

Yup... Sully Baseball will endorse Kansas State to win big.

Now let me make it perfectly clear, I can't name a single player on the Kansas State team.

I have no financial stake in them making the Final Four because I didn't fill out a bracket this year.

Up until 2 minutes ago, I didn't even know they were called the Wildcats.

And as I type this sentence, I am not sure where the school physically exists in Kansas.

So why do I want them to win?

Because here's a little thing you need to know about your pal Sully: I can be a bit of a prick sports wise.

Oh I am a hell of a nice guy in real life. I am a good friend, a thoughtful neighbor who is involved with the community, a caring father, a faithful husband and a dependable coworker.

But in sports, I love a little Schadenfreude. It's not enough to win... you have to stick it in the eye of someone else.

Maybe it was all of those years seeing the Red Sox flop a la Wile E. Coyote and hearing it from Yankee fans, but I have developed a taste for watching other fan bases squirm.

Which brings us to the Kansas State Wildcats. They are a good team evidently. They are a 2 seed in the tournament and ranked #7 in both the AP and USA Today/ESPN polls (a fact I did not know when I started writing this post.)

So it isn't like I am pulling for Northern Iowa to go all the way. Kansas State has a shot. And I am positive the fans at KSU (do they call themselves that?) would be thrilled for further victories.

But as of right now, they can rub another fan base's nose in it. The #1 team in the country is Kansas. And they didn't make the Sweet 16... and Kansas State did.

I am sure Jayhawk fans have rubbed it into Wildcat fans' noses for quite some time.

The Jayhawks have made 13 Final Four appearances and won their conference 53 times. They've made it to the title game 8 times (including 2 in the 2000s) and won three National Titles including 2008.

They are one of the marquee programs. Even I know that!

Kansas State has made a grand total of 4 Final Four appearances. They went 12 years between NCAA Tournament appearances between 1996 and 2008.

They will never be THE team in Kansas... except maybe this year.

Maybe, just maybe, in a year where the Jayhawks were supposed to make it to Indianapolis to play for the title, the Wildcats fans will have something to cheer about.

And trust me, Wildcat fans would love a National Title and also love that their cross state superiors face planted in the second round.

That is, if their fans are as big pricks as I am.


Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. i dont think Kansas has any chance in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:11 PM

    I was born and raised in Kansas about 30 minutes down the road from Manhattan(where KSU is) and I have been a lifelong Jayhawks fan. This weekend was absolutely heartbreaking, but it's something that we have to go through from time to time as Jayhawk fans. I will admit it will hurt some if K-State goes all the way and wins this thing, but it will be bittersweet. Most Jayhawks fans don't have the animosity toward K-State the way we have with Mizzou, and I think most fans will quietly be cheering for the Wildcats.

    ReplyDelete