Sunday, May 13, 2007

Thank you very much!



6 in the bottom of the 9th! I'll take it.

Of course I have to lament my own personal timing. I was driving doing errands and I listened to innings 2 through 8... when the Sox were behind, scuffling, the crowd was out of it and Francona waved a white flag taking Manny out. So basically it was like watching Rocky 4 and turning it off before the fight with Drago.

For a couple of guys with a great reputation around pitchers, Mazzone and Perlozzo sure seemed panicked. I mean the team had a 5-0 lead, the kid Guthrie was 2 outs away from a complete game shut out in Fenway against a red hot Red Sox team, they would have won the series and climbed back to .500. Not to mention the fact that Guthrie's confidence would have been sky high.

Hernandez dropped the potential second out, and suddenly Perlozzo became Chicken Little.

Did he think that the Red Sox were finally getting to Guthrie after a pop up to the catcher?

Did he think that he had the reincarnation of Rich Gossage and Rollie Fingers in his bullpen?

Whatever he was thinking, I'm glad he thought it. I heard once Tom Seaver say a team should send the opposing manager a thank you note when he takes out a pitcher throwing a shut out.

Suddenly, the flood gates open, and what looked like a potential season turning series win for the Orioles turned into an unreal collapse.

And of course, I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment