Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Is it too much to ask for a REAL apology from a steroid user?



I'm sick of people like Andy Pettite and Alex Rodriguez and Jason Giambi being applauded for coming out and being honest about their steroid use.

Bull!

They lied and they were caught.

When I was in the 7th grade, I lied to my parents. I told them I was doing my homework.

I wasn't.

Then a letter came from the Weston Middle School saying "Paul has not been turning in his homework."

I saw it in the mail.

I threw it away.

My parents found out about my not doing my homework...
And then found out about my throwing away the letter...

When I said "Yes I did both" my parents did not respond by saying "Hey! You were honest about it."
TRUST ME!

It's the same with these guys.

Admitting something after you were caught doing it isn't admirable. It's a tactical retreat (as opposed to the insane denial of some others.)

I want a real apology from a 'roids user right now.
And I want it from someone that there's been NO WHISPER about up until this point.

I want someone to come up and say

"HEY! Senator Mitchell never found my name, I never went to BALCO and I was never a teammate of Jose Canseco... but I used steroids and I am admitting it."

And when asked How long? I want him to respond

"For most of my career! Because I wanted to stay in the big leagues, I saw everyone doing it and I felt I need to do this to compete."

When asked "Did you know what it was?" I want to the answer to be

"YES! Good God I am an athlete! I needed to know what I was injecting. I knew what it was, how it would help me."

And when asked "Were other teammates using it?" I want the response to be

"Of course, but I am not talking about them. I am talking about ME! It's up to them to come clean and be honest about this."

And finally he'd be asked "If you weren't going to be caught, then why are you admitting it?" the correct response should be

"It's the right thing to do."

That would be refreshing.

I lived down the throwing away the note from school... but it took a while.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Hey Sully- Nice stuff about steroids and real apologies and yes I am reading your blog.
    -Laura Corrin-Gallo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:48 AM

    Sully, there was at least one guy who admitted to steroid use without getting caught first. That was Tom House, the relief pitcher from the 1970's who's made a good second career as a pitching coach. He claimed that roughly half of the pitchers on each team were using steroids in the 1970's.

    I haven't seen any other pitchers from his era admitting to steroid use, but House is a straightforward professional and I tend to believe his account. Certainly steroid use was common among Olympic athletes by the 1970's--there's no reason to doubt that steroids were being used by MLB players, too.

    ReplyDelete