Thursday, November 05, 2009

It's always a sad day

I got a call from my dad today.

We talked about my kids and how we are doing... then my dad said what was on both of our minds.

"Sad day today," he said.

"Yup" I agreed.

End of another year.

Not sad because the Yankees won... but because we baseball fans lost that daily companion.

My dad lamented "Am I supposed to get excited about the WARRIORS?"

Of course that would be impossible.

We agreed that one of the great things about baseball is it on EVERY DAY. It's like a friend you can count on on the drive home... or something to have on in the background around the house.

Every night you know there will be a bunch of highlights to watch.
Every morning box scores to read.

I like a good football game, but the "once a week" element would drive me batty if it were my main sport.

And hockey and basketball are great, but I have a hard time getting into the first 2 periods of a hockey game nor the first half of a basketball game.

I suppose there are a lot of people who would have trouble with the first 6 innings of a baseball game... but chances are they aren't reading this blog.

And the end of baseball blues haven't elluded Yankee fans either.

My dear friend Nicole Korkolis, a great comic based in New York, wrote to me saying she was sad to see the season over because you always have that ball game to come home to.

So between now and April I will have my wife's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, the Oscars and my kid's birthday... a lot on my plate.

But rest assured, Sully Baseball no longer takes the off season off!




4 comments:

  1. Well said. I hate it when the days get shorter, the nights get colder and we are left counting the days until pitchers and catchers report.

    Roger Hornsby said it best... “People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad... but you still got two weeks or so of ball going on in Arizona with some of the top prospects in the game. Check out www.mlbfallball.com ... I went there last year and saw Gordon Beckham play. Strasburg and Posey are among the prospects playing there this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is sad, but also a welcome break at least for a little while. sometimes the off season is my favorite part because you sign new guys and have new hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Sully: Pardon me for being blunt but I find your work to be funny/sad/moving and "real", although tha's probably an overused word these days. Like you I am into baseball, but from another angle, and while I don't expect to rival you any time at all, I wangt rto invite you and anyone you know, to read my baseball poetry at

    http://insider-insidethegame.blogspot.com

    Let me know what you think of the several pieces you will find there. It's a small sample of nearly 200 short prose-poems.

    ReplyDelete