Wednesday, November 04, 2009

It's better like this


























I can be wrong.

I can be very wrong.

And I am man enough to admit when I am.

Last off season I begged Curt Schilling, Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Greg Maddux to all retire.

I figured their best years were behind them and they should all try to get into the Hall of Fame at once instead of seeing them struggle on for a few reputation crushing season.

Schilling and Maddux obliged.

Both Tom Glavine and John Smoltz pressed on and were eventually cut. Smoltz may have found a new home in St. Louis but Glavine is in Limbo.

The one I was most certain about was Pedro. He was no longer an elite pitcher. Hell he hadn't been elite since 2005, his first year with the Mets.

He was giving the Mets 5 1/3 innings a start with an ERA in the 5's. He was not able to help down the stretch when the Mets desperately needed a starter.

And nobody would sign him in the off season.

I thought he was toast, and I thought it was a horrible decision to go to Philadelphia.

But I was wrong.

In my scenario, the last game Pedro would have ever pitched was on September 25 last year where he let up a first inning homer to Micah Hoffpauir and let up 5 runs in 6 innings.

In reality? This could be his last game.

And where is it?
New Yankee Stadium?

When is it?
Forget September... this is NOVEMBER baseball.

What's at stake?
The Phillies' defense of their World Championship.

This is wonderful drama worthy of one of the most dramatic showmen in recent baseball history.

If he wins, he sends this World Series into the 7th game and possibly into the history books as a great series.

If he wins, it will be put the whole Grady Little 7th game to bed forever.

If he wins, he will do a better job of slaying his daddy than Oedipus ever did!

And if he loses?

Heck, what a way to go. His finale won't be an obscure game in September but a hail of bullets worthy of Tony Montana's demise.

Either way, it makes for great drama.

You were right Pedro to come back.

It's better like this.

Let's play ball.