It's that time of the year again... the time when we immortalize a player for being an All Star based upon a good first half or by being a mandatory pick from a lousy team.
It's the All Star ballot time!
Now last year they handed out All Star roster spots like a T-Ball League hands out trophies. Evidently everyone got one.
My rosters will be a little more reserved. I have 34 spots including the nine starters (and DH), reserves and pitchers (with a smattering of lefties thrown in.)
Each team is represented.
AMERICAN LEAGUE ALL STARS
Catcher – A. J. PIERZYNSKI, White Sox
First Base – PAUL KONERKO, White Sox
Second Base – ROBINSON CANO, Yankees
Shortstop – DEREK JETER, Yankees
Third Base - MIGUEL CABRERA, Tigers
Left Field – JOSH HAMILTON, Rangers
Center Field – ADAM JONES, Orioles
Right Field - MARK TRUMBO, Angels
Designated Hitter – DAVID ORTIZ, Red Sox
Pitcher – JUSTIN VERLANDER, Tigers
Reserve Catcher – JOE MAUER, Twins
Reserve Catcher – MATT WIETERS, Orioles
Reserve First Baseman – PRINCE FIELDER, Tigers
Reserve Second Baseman – JASON KIPNIS, Indians
Reserve Shortstop – ELVIS ANDRUS, Rangers
Reserve Shortstop – ASDRUBAL CABRERA, Indians
Reserve Third Baseman – ADRIAN BELTRE, Rangers
Reserve Outfielder –BILLY BUTLER, Royals
Reserve Outfielder –EDWIN ENCARNACION, Blue Jays
Reserve Outfielder –JOSH REDDICK, Athletics
Reserve Outfielder –ALEX RIOS, White Sox
Reserve Outfielder – MIKE TROUT, Angels
JASON HAMMEL, Orioles
FELIX HERNANDEZ, Mariners
JAKE PEAVY, White Sox
DAVID PRICE, Rays
CHRIS SALE, White Sox
JERED WEAVER, Angels
C. J. WILSON, Angels
JONATHAN BROXTON, Royals
JIM JOHNSON, Orioles
JOE NATHAN, Rangers
CHRIS PEREZ, Indians
FERNANDO RODNEY, Rays
NATIONAL LEAGUE ALL STARS
Catcher – YADIER MOLINA, Cardinals
First Base – JOEY VOTTO, Reds
Second Base – BRANDON PHILLIPS, Reds
Shortstop – STARLIN CASTRO, Cubs
Third Base – DAVID WRIGHT, Mets
Left Field – CARLOS GONZALEZ, Rockies
Center Field – ANDREW McCUTCHEN, Pirates
Right Field – CARLOS BELTRAN, Cardinals
Designated Hitter –RYAN BRAUN, Brewers
Starting Pitcher – R. A. DICKEY, Mets
Reserve Catcher – CARLOS RUIZ, Phillies
Reserve Catcher – BUSTER POSEY, Giants
Reserve First Baseman – ADAM LaROCHE, Nationals
Reserve Second Baseman – JOSE ALTUVE, Astros
Reserve Second Baseman– AARON HILL, Diamondbacks
Reserve Shortstop – RAFAEL FURCAL, Cardinals
Reserve Third Baseman – DAVID FREESE, Cardinals
Reserve Outfielder – MICHAEL BOURN, Braves
Reserve Outfielder – MELKY CABRERA, Giants
Reserve Outfielder – ANDRE ETHIER, Dodgers
Reserve Outfielder – MATT HOLLIDAY, Cardinals
Reserve Outfielder – GIANCARLO STANTON, Marlins
MATT CAIN, Giants
JOHNNY CUETO, Reds
GIO GONZALEZ, Nationals
ZACK GREINKE, Brewers
COLE HAMELS, Phillies
JAMES McDONALD, Pirates
WADE MILEY, Diamondbacks
STEPHEN STRASBURG, Nationals
AROLDIS CHAPMAN, Reds
TYLER CLIPPARD, Nationals
CRAIG KIMBRELL, Braves
HUSTON STREET, Padres
A few notes...
- You can't accuse me of being a homer. I have more Royals (2) than Red Sox (1) on the All Star Squad.
- I put both Billy Butler and Jonathan Broxton on the squad to appease the home town fans. Jose Bautista was the odd man out.
- I opted for Alex Rios over Curtis Granderson. I have a feeling that pick will come back to bite me.
- Josh Reddick and his power put him on the club as the A's rep.
- Nobody on the Mariners deserves a trip. I selected Felix Hernandez because at least he had earned it in the past. Nobody should add "All Star" to their resume on the Mariners without earning it.
- I picked Huston Street over Carlos Quentin for the Padres rep. Neither has played enough to merit selection, but at least Street has a good save total. Also he has never been an All Star and deserved to be when with either Oakland or Colorado.
- Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo should be All Stars. Albert Pujols should not be. Who predicted that?
- Most A.L. All Stars? According to me, the White Sox! Who predicted that? Nobody.
- Most N. L. All Stars? According to me, the Cardinals! Things could look good for the Defending Champs!
We'll see how many get picked.
As I wrote last year, I think the season should START the season with the All Star Game. But nobody listens to me.