Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Padres camouflage uniforms have GOT to go
























AUTHOR UPDATE: MAY 2, 2011

I wrote this post over a year ago. I know that tonight the Padres will wear the camouflage to honor the incredible work done by our men and women in uniform specifically regarding the assassination of Osama Bin Laden. As I wrote last night, I think this victory over Bin Laden is a great day for America and I think that the gesture made by the Padres is a tremendous one.

Please do not think I am trying to pull a John Steigerwald and make waves for attention.

All of that being said, I still think the uniforms are ugly.

Now on to the original post...

Before you write in to me saying how insensitive I am and how unpatriotic I am, YES I realize the Padres wear camouflage uniforms to honor the military.

And I also know they do it several times a year, not just Memorial Day.

And I know San Diego is a military town and the Padres do A LOT for our brave men and women in uniform to whom we ALL owe a debt of gratitude.

I know all of that.

But guess what? Sometimes a nice gesture can still blow.
Ever get a lousy present from an earnest relative that was dreadful?
THESE uniforms are the ugly ties given to dads by sincere kids.

Why not have a military uniform that looks more like Naval attire? After all, San Diego is a big Navy town!

I'll say it... these uniforms suck.

They even suck as camouflage! Yeah, the tops will blend in... but how do the WHITE PANTS help you?

If you are going to do camouflage, take a page from the minor league team The American Defenders of New Hampshire.

Folks, they do camouflage and they go ALL THE WAY.


Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:22 AM

    you are the Mr. Blackwell of baseball..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. They are so damn ugly. Change it up a bit. There's got to be a better camouflage design than that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really think that is a minor league team... more like an Independent League which appears to be directly linked with the Military.

    Anyway, I have no problem with the Padres' uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Dude.. every Sunday they wear 'em.. and I'd say they are better than Colorado's daily softball-looking uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know they wear the unis a lot... that's why I said that in the post...

    And no, the Rockies uniforms are NOT worse.
    The Rockies uniforms suck... but they don't look riddiculous

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're beyond ugly! I don't understand why they have a "backwards" American flag n the right arm? Anyone know why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I don't see anything wrong about them. If a team wishes to honor our veterans and troops by wearing them, then that's a team I can respect. If you don't like it, I'm sure the Japanese league would love to hear from you. It's RESPECT, man. THEY value what has been sacrificed. If you want fashion, go to Hollywood and relax there. Baseball is AMERICAN and originally was played by gentlemen that respected the Man in Uniform

    ReplyDelete
  8. rdbcatcher... did you read the first sentence that I wrote?
    Did you read a word of what I wrote?

    I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves our country and, because you didn't read the post, I will say it again...

    Please ACTUALLY READ THE WORDS I WROTE:

    "I know San Diego is a military town and the Padres do A LOT for our brave men and women in uniform to whom we ALL owe a debt of gratitude."

    I think they should do everything they can to honor the military.
    And the Padres do a great job of it.

    I think the unis themselves are ugly, which was the point of this tongue in cheek post.

    All I ask from my readers is for you to read what I wrote.
    That's it.

    Then feel free to post.

    Take care

    (FYI, the Japanese uniforms tend to be terrible)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got good news for ya homie... they are changing them! Next year the uniforms will emulate the USMC. AND the final design will be picked out by the Wounded Warriors (via the Wounded Warriors Project http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/content/view/415/876/). Can't say no one's listening to ya!

    Source: Hugh Hewitt Radio Show

    ReplyDelete