Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Say what you want about New York fans... they don't burn stuff

















I know it is chic to trash New Yorkers and their fans... and Lord knows as a Red Sox fan, I get trash from them and I throw it right back.

But let's tip our caps to them for a minute.
They don't burn stuff when their teams win.

I've lived in Los Angeles County for three years and the Lakers have won 2 NBA titles since then. Both times, people turn over cars and burn stuff.

When the Red Sox won the AL Pennant in 2004, some poor girl got killed.

And in San Francisco, where I thought the only fires were going to be in bongs, it turns out the celebration got out of hand in Market Street.

I lived in New York from 1990 to 2005. I was there for four Yankee World Series titles, a Giants Super Bowl and the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup at long last. I also saw the Knicks in 2 Finals and an all New York World Series.

Fans cheered. They honked horns. They yelled at the opposing fans.
But cars were burned.
It wasn't a riot.

Yes, there are a lot of bonehead New York fans and yes of course we all know Yankee fans can be insufferable.

But give them ALL credit.
They win better than most of us.


Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. we are out of practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:34 PM

    We win better than you because we have had and will continue to have more practice at winning than you.

    ReplyDelete