Monday, October 05, 2009

Picking a team to root for...















All logic has me rooting for the Tigers...

As I wrote up before the only scenario that has the Yankees eliminated early involves a rested and ready Justin Verlander and a Tigers team on an emotional high with nothing to lose taking on Not-exactly-dominating-in-October Sabathia and potential playoff train wreck A. J. Burnett.

But there is something wickedly wonderful about the much maligned (although defended my me) Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome getting a longer playoff send off than either of the New York stadiums.

But there's another selfish reason to root for the Twins.

Remember my crappy predictions? I picked the A's and the Reds to meet in the World Series.

So yeah, it wasn't a Cincinnati/Oakland year.

But guess what? If the Twins win the Division, then the REST of my post season teams were correct.

I picked the Yankees to win the East... Check.
I picked the Red Sox to win the Wild Card... Check.
I picked the Phillies to win the East... Check.
I picked the Dodgers to win the West... Check.

I picked the Cardinals to make the playoffs... granted I picked them to be the Wild Card team but I'll give myself a Check.

And if it is the Twins then in the end, I would have picked 6 out of 8... which isn't bad.

Plus I didn't get seduced by picking the Cubs, Rays or Mets who were high on a lot of people's prediction lists.

In the end, my shallow anti Yankee sentiment will out weigh wanting my picks to look slightly better, so I'll be rooting for the Tigers.

But I want it to go 15 innings.






2 comments:

  1. And a few blogs ago you basically counted the Twins out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID count the Twins out of it

    They were a sub .500 team and 5 1/2 games out with 21 games left.

    They were 3 games out with 4 to play

    Forgive me if I thought the Tigers could hold onto the lead!!!

    ReplyDelete