Saturday, July 17, 2010

Yankee fans are throwing Jeter under the bus? This Red Sox fan WON'T HAVE IT!

Wow... it is a strange world we live in. I am a Red Sox fan and I am coming to the defense of Derek Jeter who is being dog piled by Yankee fans.

Even Bizarro finds this odd.

Yesterday I gave Jeter what I thought was a deserved tip of the cap for his class and understanding his role on the team.

Kind of a quick harmless post from me. And it is good ammo against anyone who says I don't give the Yankees any credit.

I figured that was that and I would move on with my life.

But nooooooooooooooo.

I got a few comments on my page and even more private e mails from people all KILLING Derek Jeter.

My cousin Chris e mailed me wanting to know my opinion on Jeter not being at Bob Sheppard's funeral.

Lisa at Subway Squawkers, one of my favorite New York baseball sites, is on Jeter's case.
So is John Harper at the Daily News.
And Bill Madden at the Daily News.
And Mike Mazzeo from the Star Ledger.

And I bet a lot more if I had the time or energy to look more.

REALLY? We're really going to throw Jeter under a bus?
We're going to act like Derek Jeter hasn't been 100% respectful of the Yankee tradition and specifically the legacy of Bob Sheppard this whole time?

After all Jeter has done in a Yankee uniform, and this is coming from a Red Sox fan, to represent its tradition, its titles, its link to the past and its place in New Yorkers lives, you are telling me Jeter has NOTHING in the bank in terms of credit?

This is not some knucklehead like Ben Roethlisberger or some Rent a Yankee who couldn't get out of town fast enough like Randy Johnson. This isn't a dope like Vince Coleman who didn't know who Jackie Robinson was or Jack McDowell flipping off the Yankee fans.

This is the captain of the team.
This is the man who continued to have Sheppard's voice announce him when they went to the new stadium.
He's the one who paid tribute to him and The Boss in front of 50,000+ fans and did so without notes and was clearly choked up.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.
If he wasn't at the funeral then he should be given a pass. There was probably a reason. Maybe it was a "if the whole team doesn't go, then nobody should go" thing. Maybe it was a "we will pay tribute our way... publicly and in a heartfelt way."

Whatever it was... maybe you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that he did the wrong thing or isn't showing class.

This isn't Steve Howe. It's Derek Jeter... and some day there will be a day for him in the Bronx and will have earned it. (I am assuming he has earned it. According to some Yankee fans he evidently still needs to prove his reverence for the franchise.)

By the way, the next time one of you Yankee fans accuse me of just slamming your team, remember how I came to your captain's defense.

(But if you don't give Jeter credit, what hope do I have?)


Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Lisa has been on Jeters case for Years, She writes great stuff, But she really is on Jeter just as much as Other Yankee fans are on A-Rod, I do not here anyone question why he wasn't there.

    It is time to put all of this to rest and get on with the rest of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can anyone be on Jeter?

    Remember what team I root for... and I am saying that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeter's a class act. Anyone who actually EARNS his big salary in this crazy sport by performing and performing above and beyond (jumping in the stands to catch a ball!) is ok in my book. He's old school, unlike A-Rod.

    He doesn't need a pass. He's aces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was strange that no current Yankee player went to the funeral, but as you mentioned in the post, there must be some reason. I'm a Yankees fan through and through. I don't think Jeter or any of the Yanks need a pass or should be berated. I'm sure there is a reason and that's their business. For all we know, the family may not have wanted the service to be any more public than it already was. How knows? It was an unfortunate week for the NY Yankees and baseball, but now it's time to honor both Mr. Steinbrenner and Mr. Sheppard on the field. I'm looking forward to the rest of the MLB season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa from Subway Squawkers here. I don't think I've "been on Jeter's case" as much as I have held him to a high standard because he is the captain of this team.

    I still think Jeter should have been at the funeral. And more to the point, I think his "I didn't know" excuse about not going is laughable, given that Bob Sheppard's funeral arrangements were in every New York paper.

    I am questioning Jeter on this issue because 1) he is the captain, and attending such events is part of his job, and 2) he has made such a big deal about keeping Sheppard as his personal announcer. (And by the way, as I wrote earlier, how well do you think it would play if A-Rod had all those Sheppard recordings announcing him? I KNOW we wouldn't hear how classy a gesture it was!)

    His name is Jeter, not Jesus. Nobody should be above a little scrutiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lisa...
    Trust me, I know he isn't Jesus

    I'm a Red Sox fan and I've called him the other guy a few times.

    I give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he has banked some good will from the fans (or maybe he hasn't) and I'm not going to kill him especially because I don't know all the facts.

    I love Subway Squawkers and I read you guys all the time
    Guess we aren't going to agree on this one

    But I think we CAN agree that AJ Burnett is dumber than a bag of lemons

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There has to be a reason that NO Yankee player went to the Sheppard funeral. That said, the Boss's funeral was this morning in Tampa and I didn't hear of any Yankees there either (+ Reggie the the rest of the old-timers were all at Yankee Stadium for Old Timers' Day)
    If anything, put it on the ownership. It was, after all, the Boss who flew the entire Yankee team to Canton OH to attend Munson's funeral, whether they would forfeit that evening's game or not. That did not happen here, but to single out a PLAYER, even Jeter, is totally wrong. What was he supposed to do, go AWOL?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard that Steinbrenner's funeral WAS a private affair, just for his family. So be it.

    I respect Jeter, Sully. He handles himself well, is a team-first guy and will never be on the police blotter. But I am with Lisa on this. He's made a big deal about honoring Mr. Sheppard with his voice introducing his at-bats. I find his skipping that funeral to be odd to say the least. We've heard nothing about the family asking for no players to be there. It just doesn't look right and his excuse doesn't wash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just as George's funeral was a family only deal for privacy it is possible that the Sheppard family did not want a media circus at his funeral. Funerals don't give you a lot of warning. Sadly I've missed some for family members I really should of been at and made it to some where the obligation was much less. That's life. Sometimes you can not get home in time. I have no doubt that Jeter found a proper way to express his sympathy to the family.

    ReplyDelete