Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Man, I am a greedy greedy man

Man I love winning 1-0 games in the bottom of the 9th. I love seeing Lester out duel Halladay and I love seeing Youk come up big in the 9th.
I love seeing Lowell back in the line up.
I love knowing that with a win by Dice-K, the Defending World Champion Boston Red Sox will be at worst tied for first going into May.

So naturally I was talking with some of my Red Sox pals about the team and we determined that we needed bullpen help.

I wrote about how I thought it was time to have Timlin hang them up and my buddy and I agreed the pen needed some reinforcements.

Timlin has an ERA floating in the 13's, Javier Lopez is a left hander who can't get left handers out and Julian Tavarez is a human white flag.

Now keep in mind we know that the Sox have a great closer in Papelbon.
And a great lefty set up man in Okajima.
And we know new comer David Aardsma is doing well.
And Manny DelCarmen was doing well until pitching poorly his last 3 games, but he should rebound.

Also remember that Varitek has gotten some big hits and is handling the starting staff perfectly...
Youk continues to hit...
Pedroia has been a spark plug and made a great defensive play last night...
Lugo of all people has gotten some hits...
Lowell is back...
Manny might win the MVP...
Ellsbury is putting some hits together after a slow start...
Drew has slowed down but still is capable of some pop...
Crisp is playing great D and his average is hovering around .300...
Ortiz seems to be out of his slump...
Cash and the kid Lowrie have given them some depth off of the bench...
And the rotation of Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Buchholz and even Wakefield have been getting the job done.

So what were we complaining about?

We were complaining that the 5th, 6th and 7th options out of the bullpen weren't to our liking.

That is being very greedy.

And we Sox fans had better get used to seeing at least Timlin and Tavarez.
Timlin seems like a good clubhouse guy and with a lot of young pitchers on the staff, it pays to have a veteran in the pen... even one with a 13 ERA.

As for Tavarez... he's Manny's buddy. And with Manny hitting the way he is, I want him as happy as possible.

Oh well... maybe I can find peace thinking 22 of the 25 on the roster can contribute!

No comments:

Post a Comment