Saturday, December 27, 2008

Randy Johnson signing with the Giants spoils what would have been a great Cooperstown party


Last November I urged Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz to all retire because... well I think they are cooked and I also thought it would be great to see them all voted into the Hall of Fame at the same time.

Maddux, clearly one of my most faithful readers, obliged and retired.

Well one of my readers pointed out that Randy Johnson should be in that group too and I couldn't agree more.

Now that Johnson has signed with the Giants, it dawned on me that an amazing opportunity is now lost for a Hall of Fame celebration.

Let's say that Johnson said "I'm out."
Then Pedro followed Maddux and Big Unit out the door...
Then Smoltz and Glavine realize they have nothing left to prove and hang them up.

Well guess what would happen in 5 years when all five get elected into the Hall of Fame?

You would have every single National League Cy Young Winner from 1991 to 2002 on stage at the same time.
You would have the best pitchers from an outrageous hitters era.
You would have the greatest collection of arms who tamed the bats of the Steroid era.

It would have been a cool day.

You know if they voted in Eric Gagne and Roger Clemens that day too, you'd have all the NL Cy Young winners from 1991 to 2004... but are Gagne and Clemens the best examples of "beating the steroid era" in pitching?

More like if you can't beat em, join em.

But alas, that day won't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment