Friday, September 10, 2010

ROOM AT THE TOP















Now my dad has always told me that when you look at the standings, you don't first look at the Games Behind column. You look at the loss column. A team can make up wins, but they can't take away losses.

So often I'll try to cheer my dad up by saying "The Giants are 3 games back" and he would mumble "4 back in the loss column."

So I know my dad is scanning the standings like crazy and now his Giants sit on top of the NL West with the Padres.

Now granted, the Giants are still one back in the loss column... but admit it, dad. It looks sweet.
The Giants at the top.
Games behind... ZERO.

As for the Padres... think of this. On August 19th, less than a month ago, they had just finished winning 10 of 11 games and opened up a 6 game lead in the Division.

As recently as August 28th, they still had a 6 game lead.

They are 6-14 since then. 5 of those 6 wins were against the sleep walking Dodgers and the terrible Diamondbacks.

With the Rockies winning streak continuing, there is a possibility that the Padres could fall all the way to third place in the Division.

The Rockies are only 3 back in the loss column.

Either way, tomorrow morning I want my many Giant fan friends to gaze at the standings. You guys haven't been in first place this late since 2003.

Savor it... and don't let that loss column bother you.




Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment