Saturday, May 05, 2012

The advantage of a Red Sox season with low expectations



















Tonight the Red Sox lost a heart breaker in extra innings.
And I'm not tallying anything.
I'm not banging my head against the wall.

I'm not HAPPY they lost. I'm not INDIFFERENT.
But I don't think the Red Sox are doing squat this year. Even with the shaky Yankee rotation and now with the closer situation in flux, I don't think the Red Sox are going to be anything other than what we have seen so far.

Win a bunch... lose a bunch.
One week look unbeatable... the next week look worse than the New York Knights before Roy Hobbs arrived.

They went on that unbelievable winning streak.
Guess what?
They've lost their last 3 to the A's and Orioles.

It's going to be that kind of year, Red Sox fans.
Get used to it and root for the kids (like Middlebrooks, Doubront and whomever else is coming up from Pawtucket) and enjoy the good streaks when they happen.

But don't scan the standings or scoreboard watch.
After many stressful summers, this is one just for fun.

 Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. That's a great point. After last fall, with the hair pulling and hat slamming, this season just doesn't feel like it carries as much weight for me. That doesn't mean I appreciate when Jon Lester hangs one to Mark "K" Reynolds or Cody Ross acts like Gary Sheffield in right field, but it doesn't stop me from sleeping at night this year either.

    ReplyDelete