Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Genuine Draft


So today is the Major League "Don't Call It Amateur Because Scott Boras Will Send A Kid To Play For The St. Paul Saints And Make Him A Free Agent" Draft.

I don't have a lot to say about it because we all know Stephen Strasburg is going to the Nationals at 1 and then a lot of players that chances are you never heard of will go later.

Chances are my Red Sox are going to draft a catcher and it might be Boston College star Tony Sanchez, who I wouldn't know if he came up to me and said "Hi, I'm Boston College star Tony Sanchez."

I've already written why the Draft tells us NOTHING about the players the teams are getting.

Last year I wrote about why analysis on draft day is borderline insane.

And this March I urged the Nationals to spread the Strasburg bonus money around because their farm system is more than one player away from contention.

Sit back and enjoy the draft if you watch it.

I think MLB Network should have Brien Taylor, Todd Van Poppel and David Clyde as commentators.




2 comments:

  1. JD Drew draft reference...well played, Sully. I think Strasburg is going to be a bust anyway and totally agree with you on how Nationals shouldn't spend it all on him. In fact, if they draft him, they probably can't sign him anywaay since Boras will be asking for a crazy price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the MLB draft is slowly getting more important since the players getting drafted seem more and more ready to play. Last few # 1 picks have been the likes of Justin Upton, David Price, and Joe Mauer to name a few, they all seem to be having good or promising mlb careers. At least if you are into minor league baseball its a good way to watch some premier prospects like me and the guy above me Wes do when we watch Buster Posey play for the San Jose Giants.

    ReplyDelete