Monday, June 29, 2009

I am grinding my teeth and I shouldn't


To be fair, Sunday's game should not have been a teeth grinder. The Red Sox had won another series... and they got a solid performance from Brad Penny (showing once again some of Theo's best trades are the ones he DOESN'T make.)

But here I sit Monday afternoon grinding my teeth.

Why?

Shouldn't I be encouraged that the Red Sox went in, took 2 of 3 and the one game they lost they got a good pitching performance from Penny but faced a young hot pitcher in Tommy Hanson?

(Are Braves fans still mad that it is Hanson instead of Glavine in the rotation?)

But I'm mad.

They couldn't score 2 more runs? They left the bases loaded in one inning and had the tying run on in the 9th.

Oh who am I kidding? I'm not grinding my teeth because of the Red Sox! They did a good job in Atlanta. If you take 2 of 3 every series, you'd win 108 games!

I'm grinding my teeth at the Mets!

Seriously Mets... you couldn't win ONE GAME at home?

Really? Thanks to the Castillo drop the other week you lose 5 of 6 to the Yankees?

With two games left in June you are at even .500?

YOU FACED CHIEN MING WANG!!!!! He went into last night's game with as many wins in 2009 as Harry Morgan!

(By the way, with all of the recent celebrity deaths, isn't it odd that Harry Morgan is still alive? Did you know he was? I just assumed he died. But I digress.)

How bad is the Mets offense?

Let me put it this way... the Mets drove in 3 runs all weekend.
Mariano Rivera drove in 1.

Rivera matched 1/3 of the Mets offense.

That is grotesque.

Some of the Mets are begging Minaya to make a deal.
What for?

They are a .500 team. They should be dealing VETERANS!

Oh well... it's not entirely the Red Sox fault that they have to sweep a team in order to hold serve... but this isn't about fairness. This is about whether or not my teeth are grinding.

 With sadness I update the board.



DODGED A BULLET GAMES - 9

April 17 - 10-8 win against Orioles. (Overcame 7-0 deficit.)
April 24 - 5-4 win against Yankees. (Bay homers off of Rivera in 9th to tie it.)
April 25 - 16-11 win against Yankees. (Overcame 6-0 deficit.)
April 29 - 6-5 win at Cleveland. (Overcame 5-0 deficit.)
May 12 - 4-3 win at Anaheim. (Down 3-1 in the 8th.)
June 11 - 4-3 win against Yankees. (Down 3-1 in the 8th. Rallied against Sabathia.)
June 12 - 5-2 win at Philadelphia. (Overcame Ryan Howard's 9th inning shot to win in 13)
June 21 - 6-5 win against Atlanta. (The wind turns Nick Green's fly ball into a walk off shot)
June 27 - 1-0 win at Atlanta. (Masterson and Papelbon wiggle out of late jams.)


TEETH GRINDER GAMES - 8

April 14 - 6-5 loss at Oakland. (Sox blow early 3-0 lead. Lose in 12)
April 28 - 9-8 loss at Cleveland. (Sox blow early 5-1 lead. Lopez drops 3rd out.)
May 14 - 5-4 loss at Anaheim. (Ortiz goes 0-7 stranding 12 runners.)
May 15 - 5-4 loss at Seattle. (Red Sox blow their second 4-0 lead in three days.)
May 17 - 3-2 loss at Seattle. (Red Sox strand two in the 9th. Lose in the bottom of the 9th.)
May 23 - 3-2 loss to the Mets. (Papelbon lets up a 2 out 2 run homer in the 9th to Omir Santos)
June 18 - 2-1 loss to the Marlins. (Rain washes out a tight game after 5+ innings.)
June 28 - 2-1 loss to the Braves. (Tying run on base in the 9th. Solid Penny outing wasted)


Down to +1.

These days nothing cheers me up like a trip to Baltimore. And maybe the Mariners will put up a fight in the Bronx. At least the M's are above .500!







No comments:

Post a Comment