Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Be A Mets Fan...



Remember in Jaws 2 how disbelieving everyone was of another shark attacking Amity Island to the point where they ignored then fired Chief Brody and allowed the shark to attack more people?

OK, probably not.

But that’s kind of what has been happening with the Mets.

Nobody thought another collapse would come about.
Not after Jerry Manuel had the clubhouse loose after Willie Randolph’s less than classy firing.

Not after they came from behind… down 7 ½ games in early June… down 5 ½ games in July to taking a 3 ½ game lead with 17 to play.

Surely they learned from last year when they were up by 7 with 17 to play and blew it.
Surely they knew to stay focused and not let leads slip away and to not get beaten by teams like the Nationals, who beat the Mets 5 out of 6 times last September.

Da duh… da duh… da duh…

There’s a fin in the water.

Da duh da duh da duh….

Losing 2 out of 3 to Philadelphia was bad enough…
Blowing that lead to Atlanta on Sunday was worse…
Last night being blown out by Washington makes it clear:

The Mets are going to need a bigger boat.

Oh it’s a combination of starting pitching (I love you Pedro, but you aren’t the same pitcher) and bullpen (anyone think saves are easy to get NOW?)

But I wonder how much of it is also the constant reminder of how they wet the bed last fall.

I always felt that the Curse of the Bambino was real. Not that I thought it was a hex or some spell cast by Gandalph. Rather I felt like the pressure of an entire region saying into your face “You are going to fail… you are going to fail…” would help cause someone to eventually fail.

Maybe the never ending reminder of the collapse of 2007 is getting to them.
Or maybe this is gut check time and they win this division and the pennant as well.

I throw the question out to the Mets fans of the world…

Faith and Fear in Flushing, are you in full panic mode at this point or do you see the ship straightening itself out.

How about you, Dana Brand? Are you going to be like my cousin Dave and concede the division to Philadelphia before they even pass you?


Let me ask you The Good The Bad The Ugly and the Mets. Does the spiral of the Brewers and the possibility of a Wild Card cushion soften the blow of this flop?

I bet you have some Yankee hatred in you, Eric at Amazin' Avenue. Does the fact that the Yankees are out of it make this tumble slightly more bearable?

Hey hilarious comedian Michael Reisman, is a big disappointment an appropriate send off to Shea Stadium?

Hey Liam McEneaney, brilliant comic and my friend. Is this just part of the burden of being a Mets fan?

How about you, Andres DuBouchet, possibly the funniest sketch performer I have ever met. Are you seeing the glass as half full and the Mets have a chance to say “Let’s prove to the world that we are winners” or are you seeing the glass as shattered on the ground?

Hey Poppi Kramer… GET OFF OF THE LEDGE!

Either way, if this keeps up all I can tell you is THIS WAS NOT A BOAT ACCIDENT.




4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:14 PM

    I just found out that my completely pathetic team beat your marginally-more-pathetic team in Fantasy Baseball. Prince Fielder, my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:51 PM

    I see only one game at a time. One pitch at a time really. That is all I am commissioned to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36 PM

    I'm not conceding anything. As I just wrote on my blog "Everything is at Stake." I will, however, accept the Wild Card if that's all we can get. But I'd much rather face LA than the Cubs in the first round of the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Gotta say, if it comes down to LA vs. the Cubs:

    On the one hand, you've got a team that's managed by Joe Torre, who always seems to pull playoff victories out of his back pocket no matter what's going on with his team.

    On the other hand, you've got Chicago, whom history has decreed Shall Never Win Again.

    I'm going to be honest, I'd rather go against the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete