Friday, September 05, 2008

No I am NOT ready for some football!!!!



Nominally I am a New York Giants fan. I adopted them when I moved to New York in 1990. I've been to some of their games and cheer them.

I never was a Patriots fan growing up and it felt odd jumping on the bandwagon when they became good in 2001.

So the team I supposedly root for opened their season last night with a win in their pursuit of repeating as Super Bowl Champions.

I didn't even know they played until I came into the office today and a coworker who is a big Giants fan came up to me to talk about the game.

"Did they play?" I asked.
"Yeah! Didn't you watch?"
"It's preseason, isn't it?" I asked.
"No! The season started."
I had no idea.

I guess this is a very frustrating part of the year for me...
All I am thinking about in terms of sports is baseball. And I can't comprehend a sports fan being distracted from baseball now.

You have the Rays, a team whose very name meant a bottom dweller until this season, is playoff bound.

The Defending World Champion Boston Red Sox are charging towards the division lead.

The White Sox and Twins can't get out of each others way but one of them will make the playoffs.

The Phillies and Mets are squaring off in what is quickly becoming a wonderful rivalry for the division title.

The Diamondbacks and Dodgers are another 1st and 2nd place match up this weekend.

And the Yankees are playing themselves out of the season.

All of this and when I turn on sports talk radio or ESPN, what are they talking about?

THE JETS AND DOLPHINS?

Really?

Ugh

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with your sentiments, Sully. I just don't get the big deal about Favre and the Jets. Yet all ESPN does is talk about the Jets.

    ReplyDelete