Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What does it say about me that I want the Pirates/Marlins series to be a playoff preview?


I know one thing it says... I'm not an executive at Fox Sports!

But ratings and my strange obsession with figuring out what executives want notwithstanding, I am truly fascinated with both teams.

Of course I have a soft spot in my heart for the Pirates. They won the first World Series that I remember and I have nothing but sympathy for their fans who haven't seen a .500 product since Sid Bream slid across home to end the 1992 NLCS.

This is their 17th season since then. Kids born that night can drive.

Granted, Pittsburgh fans have two of the last four Super Bowls to placate them, but I'd like to see the Pirates be relevant.

Their pitching staff has been shutting out teams and their young players want to contend now and are too stupid to know that they are the Pirates and aren't supposed to win gotch.

Stupid teams are dangerous. A stupid team that didn't know any better made the World Series each of the last 3 years (the '06 Tigers, the '07 Rockies and the '08 Rays).

And the Marlins have no limit to the fascination they give me.

They are like Tokyo in between Godzilla movies. The monsters keep destroying it, yet somehow it gets rebuilt before the next monster rampages through.

How can a team with no steady fan base, no revenue streams to keep their players and that plays in a football stadium have as many World Series titles as teams like the Indians, Cubs or Phillies?

And how can they be in their third rebuilding phase in 10 seasons, and have this much talent on the team?

They've slowed down with the two losses in Pittsburgh, and yet still have a 4 game lead over the Phillies.

Yeah it is early, but these are games that they don't have to make up for later in the season... and they don't have Kevin Gregg blowing games for them this year!

Essentially they are two teams with low payrolls, low expectations, young talent and nothing to lose.

Who WOULDN'T want to see two teams like that in the playoffs?

(Besides a Fox Sports Executive.)



1 comment:

  1. It says that you want the Red Sox to win the World Series!

    ReplyDelete