Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ross Ohlendorf's arbitration arguments
















Some people are surprised that Ross Ohlendorf was able to win his arbitration hearing despite a 1-11 record for the Pirates.

But if you look at his arguments, you will see it was a no brainer that he was going to win.


- Hey, I'm a Pirate! We're SUPPOSED to lose. And who did it better than me?

- Haven't you heard? We're not supposed to pay attention to a win-loss record anymore.

- Felix Hernandez lost 12 games and was given the Cy Young Award. I only lost 11. Ergo Felix Hernandez is a bigger loser than I am!

- By having the worst record in baseball, we get the #1 pick in the draft. You are welcome.

- Did you SEE my only win? It was on July 2nd against the Phillies. I threw 7 innings of shutout ball against the 2 time defending NL Champs. Let's see YOU do that, Mr. Arbitrator!

- You know, I actually had a decent ERA in each of the last two seasons. And fans don't pay money to see a pitcher win or lose. They just want to see a decent ERA.

- It is important to show Pirate fans that you are committed to putting the same crappy product on the field year in and year out.

- You have to factor in that I had an OPS of .220 as well.

- I played with the Yankees for two seasons, so I actually know players like Jeter and A-Rod. I can get them to sign some memorabilia for you. But that access doesn't come cheap!

- I can't imagine how I only went 1-11 with such a great lineup and a lock down bullpen around me!



Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Great, Had to share on my Facebook page

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the courage this man has actually we can see that in the image because look at his face he plays for his goals and for his team, that's why he's one of my favorite baseball players.

    ReplyDelete