Sunday, February 06, 2011

Here's why I am rooting for the Packers today
















I decided to root for the Packers today for a few reasons.


- Ben Roethlisberger seems like a jerk and the idea of his winning three Super Bowl rings is kind of crappy.

- Many of the Steelers already have a Super Bowl ring. For most of the Packers this is their first show.

- Aaron Rodgers winning will make him one of those "beloved forever" legends in Green Bay... you know, like Brett Favre.

- As I wrote before, I think Packer fans need to open their hearts up to Favre again. Having the Packers win a Super Bowl after his departure would go a long way in healing any wounds.

- I think a region with multiple teams should win at least one title every decade. For people in Wisconsin who root for the Brewers, Bucks and Packers, the wait has been since 1997 when the Packers beat the Patriots. 14 years is long enough. Using my "you don't follow a team until you are 7 years old" rule, there are kids who can legally buy a drink in Wisconsin without a memory of one of their pro teams winning. That's too long. Give them a reason to drink!

- Green Bay is called "Title Town." Unless you win some recent titles, that moniker is kind of sad.

- With the Steelers winning the Super Bowl in 2006 and 2009 and the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup in 2009, Pittsburgh fans have had their share of parades.

- As always I have a soft spot in my heart for the Pittsburgh Pirates because of my obsession with the 1979 World Series. If the Steelers win AGAIN then there will be no fan urgency for a Pirates contender for another decade!

In truth I want a good game. I'll be watching it with good friends and my kids and hope that it goes into Overtime.

But in the end, I want the Cheeseheads to prevail.

It will make the Green Bay winters go by much quicker for another generation at Title Town.


Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. It’s impossible to overstate how good this Pittsburgh defense has been playing of late, especially in terms of shutting down the opposition’s running game. And while Harrison may be a dickhead, he is the best OLB in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing..Packers And Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete