Monday, September 06, 2010

Witnessing the collapse from a block away













I've had a wonderful weekend in San Diego with my family as we've been staying just across the street from Petco Park. It's a lovely part of a truly beautiful city and I've been witnessing first hand a really tremendous collapse.

The first place Padres have dropped their last 10 (TEN!!!) and I've witnessed that daze of the fans walking around the Gaslamp Quarter as they can't believe their team is folding like a tent.

And as much as I have enjoyed San Diego and their people and as much as I appreciate the story of the no budget Padres winning the division, my second team is the Giants and if the Red Sox can't win, I hope my dad's Giants can.

Which makes my dinner last night all the more surreal.
My wife, kids and I went to the Tin Fish Bar for some seafood Sunday night. And the TV there was showing the Giants/Dodgers game of which I had great interest.

But I couldn't cheer loudly, or at all really.
the Tin Fish is literally a block from PetCo Park and is filled with Padres decorations. And many of the people nursing beers were grumbling about the Friars... many dressed in Padres gear.

It would not have been in good form to be cheering for the team that is hoping to crush the squad whose team plays in the stadium I could see while scarfing down fish.

It isn't quite being in the Cask'N Flagon cheering on the Yankees down the stretch in 1978... but the principle is the same.

The Giants caught them in the win column and is back now by 2 in the loss.
The four game series starting on Thursday at Petco might indeed be epic.

Giants fans travelling south, there are evidently good tickets available. Go stop by the Tin Fish Bar... just don't cheer too loudly.


Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment