Wednesday, May 23, 2012

At least everything on the field is good for Aroldis Chapman




















This has been a strange week for Aroldis Chapman.
He was arrested for speeding with a suspended license. Now I have never had a suspended license, but if I ever did, TRUST ME the fastest I would ever drive is 54 MPH. It's a good rule to keep.

"I shouldn't be driving. What's the one thing I can do to avoid a policeman from finding out that I am on the road illegally? Oh yeah. Speeding!"

Then he is involved in some lawsuit regarding human trafficking, ratting out someone who was smuggling people, being a stooge for the government and escaping the country. It is so bizarre and convoluted that the man suing him is either 100% correct or 100% out of his mind.

Once again, it is a situation I have no frame of reference to understanding.
I've never been involved in a situation where my friends are trafficking people.

And if any of you, my dear readers, are doing anything like that, don't share it with me. Let's just talk baseball.

So that's a pretty messed up week. Kind of puts my day to day issues in perspective.

That being said, it looks like the Reds finally came to their senses of what to do with him before he gets into more legal trouble. HE'S CLOSING!

As I've been screaming for them to do, they have a remarkable weapon who can shut down the other team in the 9th  in a way that doesn't seem fair.

His ERA is still 0.00.
Sean Marshall's is 4.80.
Chapman has let up 7 hits all year.
I think I saw Marshall let up 7 hits in his last outing against the Yankees.
Chapman has 41 strikeouts in 23 1/3 innings and strikes out nearly 6 batters for every walk.

In his first 2 games as the Reds closer, he has 2 innings pitched, 3 strike outs, no walks, no hits, no nothing. (Both games had a runner reach on an error.)

Of course they didn't use him as a closer on Monday and the Reds had a nail biting 9th with Arredondo and Marshall.

Is Dusty Baker being overly cautious based on his experience with the Cubs? Did Kerry Wood's retirement remind him of an arm he wore down to the ground?

Relax Dusty. It's the Cuban Missile.

I'm not saying that Chapman is making the best decisions in the world. But maybe a slightly reckless person chucking the ball in triple digits is just what the Reds need.



   Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. You might be amazed at how many people get picked up for more serious offenses after being stopped for a traffic violation. If you had just blown up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City I bet you would make sure you had a tag on your car. Tim McViegh didn't.

    ReplyDelete