Friday, December 18, 2009

Sorry Met fans, but this YouTube video makes me laugh




The scene of course is Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS.
Bases are loaded, Mets down by two, 2 outs, 2 strikes on Carlos Beltran.

The pitcher is inexperienced closer Adam Wainwright and Beltran is a Cardinal killer. A base hit would tie the game.

And extra base hit would win the pennant for the Mets and send them to the World Series against an inferior Tigers team.

And of course Beltran was called out looking.

But you know all of that.

What cracks me up is the guy shooting this video to me represents Met fans everywhere.

You hear his anticipation right up until the called third.

Then comes the agony. The Nooooooo! that is usually reserved for Luke Skywalker he realizes who his dad really is.

But then he goes right into Mets fan defensive humor.

"Oh my goodness what a dive!" he says with a disbelieving laugh. And my favorite moment is "There they come" when the Cardinals celebrate followed by more disbelief.

And that little laugh comes from a dark place, the place that says "I can't believe I allowed myself to think my team was going to win."

The guy sounds a little like Joe Beningo.

For those of you who think New York sports fans are spoiled because they win all the championships, listen to this guy's voice.

That's the sound of a guy who is a Met fan and I bet a Jets fan, a Rangers fan and a Knicks fan.

There's a lot of hurt in that voice.





1 comment:

  1. Garypen10:00 PM

    I don't have to listen. I'm familiar with it. It's the voice in my own head.

    ReplyDelete