Thursday, April 10, 2008

I could have the Championship Grand Slam!





















This could be quite a year for me sports wise...
You may have heard but I am a big Red Sox fan.
And in case you took last year off, let me inform you that the Red Sox won the 2007 World Series.

Having one of your teams, especially the team you live and die with, win the whole pile of beans should be enough to quench your sports fan's thirst.

But I am a greedy man, and I have a legit shot at the pro team Grand Slam for titles.

I follow the New York Giants in football, which you may have heard won the Super Bowl.

In basketball I have remained a loyal Celtics fan... and they have the best record in the NBA going into the playoffs

And in hockey I have followed the San Jose Sharks from their first year in the Cow Palace. And they are a potential Stanley Cup winner.

There is a legit chance that all four teams will be the defending champs at the same time.

And let me say in my defense!
I am no bandwagon fan...





My love for the Red Sox is unquestioned... and here is a picture of my brother and I at Chain O'Lakes Park in Winter Haven for Spring Training, 1980.

I already knew all of the players.







Here I am proudly wearing my Celtics hat in Palo Alto in 1987.
I stayed true to the Celtics even when they stunk, the Knicks were good and I was living in New York.









Riding the Zamboni at the HP Pavillion with my 1992 Sharks jersey.
Despite having my best friend Ritch Duncan trying to make me a Bruins fan, I stayed loyal to the teal.



OK, I admit, the Giants might take some convincing.






I didn't care that much about the NFL growing up. Sure I rooted for the Pats when they were in that Super Bowl with the Bears, but I never was passionate.

When I moved to New York and was spending time with my cousin Dave, he converted me to the Giants.

And despite the rise of the Patriots (who are owned by the father of my junior high school friend) I stayed loyal to the Giants.

And man it paid off.

Here I am at Candlestick Park in 1991 celebrating the Giants defeating the 49ers for the NFC Title.

So it's time to be greedy!
I want all four!

(But between you and me, I'd trade the Super Bowl, NBA Title and Stanley Cup for another World Series. This isn't Sully Football, Sully Hockey or Sully Basketball for Christsake!)

No comments:

Post a Comment