Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Who would have thought they could have topped the 2005 Ring Ceremony?


But they did!

Yeah it was great to see Bobby Orr, Bill Russell, John Havilcek, Jo Jo White and everyone else.

Yeah it makes me smile to see Johnny Pesky with another ring...
Or old friends like Dwight Evans show up.

But we've seen that already.

But revealing Bill Buckner, and having his walk all the way from the monster... to an ovation worthy of Paul Revere... and playing the music from Glory no less...

It was perfect.
And seeing Buckner, who doesn't look that different from that night in 1986, crying on the mound.

Yeah, I cried.
I'm man enough to admit it.

And I hope once and for all this puts the whole Buckner thing to sleep.
Christsake, we've won TWO World Series since then.

But also I've always used someone trying to taunt me with "Buckner" as a litmus test for someone's baseball intelligence.

If they yelled "Schraldi" I knew they did their homework.

But I've honored Billy Bucks already.


I love that after the game, the Sox got down to business.
Dice K looked great. Okajima was in good form and nice to see Manny legging out a triple.

But today was about turning the page on 2007 and Buckner.
Did you see Buckner threw a strike?

Maybe McNamara should have brought in Billy Bucks instead of Stanley.
How could it have ended worse?

Here's the clip again
It's a 4 hanky You Tube clip

No comments:

Post a Comment