Saturday, October 30, 2010

Haven’t you earned this, Giants fans?

I remember when my Red Sox won the 2004 and 2007 World Series, I got flack from a few of my Giant fan friends.

One of them, let’s call him Greg Lee… because that is his name… said “You couldn’t have been excited by those World Series. They were blow outs.”

I responded “Don’t blame the Red Sox for making those World Series boring. Blame the Cardinals and Rockies for not winning a game.”

The person we will call Greg Lee responded “Wouldn’t you rather have the games be dramatic?”

And I replied “I had enough drama as a Red Sox fan. Between 1986 and 2003 I had enough drama to last a lifetime. In 2004 I had to live through the 3-0 hole and facing elimination with Mariano Rivera on the mound. In 2007, the Sox came back from another 3-1 hole. I HAD DRAMA! I wanted a title.”

Then the hypothetical person I have dubbed Greg Lee asked “Wouldn’t you rather win the series at HOME?”

I responded “That would mean I would have to root AGAINST the Red Sox in a few games. I root for the Sox in every game. The celebration was sweet on the road.”

So now let me turn the question around.

If the Giants win big tonight… would you be excited? Wouldn’t you rather have a close series? Don’t you want the games to be dramatic? Wouldn’t you want to clinch the series at home?

Or have you earned a blow out?
Have you seen enough close calls that you just want to win it as fast as possible?

The brand of baseball the Giants have played has been called torture.

If the Giants win the next two games with ease, I have a feeling Giant fans will be quite happy… just like I was in 2004 and 2007.
Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. The Real Greg Lee4:42 PM

    From the mouth of the real Greg Lee:
    A compelling question... but the answer is YES.

    I would RATHER the series goes six or seven, and the games are close... AS LONG AS THE GIANTS WIN THE WHOLE THING. That's really the key.

    Does that mean I'd be okay with the Giants losing a few series games? In the moment, I'd be grumpy, sure. Probably even very, VERY grumpy... But when it's all over, as long as the Giants won, I would MUCH rather have a Series that every baseball fan remembers.

    The torture hurts, but if the eventual outcome is the good one, then that makes it all SO much sweeter...

    GO GIGANTES!!!!

    ReplyDelete