Thursday, October 21, 2010

Off sync with the Giants and my parents










I called my parents the second Juan Uribe won the game for the Giants last night to get their thoughts on the Giants somehow taking a 3-1 lead.



SULLY:
Some game! Up 3-1!

SULLY'S DAD:
I love it.

SULLY'S MOM:
It's great but watching it out of sync is driving me crazy.

SULLY:
(As confused as you)
Wait. Are you watching it live or on DVR? Do you not know how it ends?

SULLY'S MOM:
Oh we watched the ending. But it's all out of sync because Poppy has the radio on.


SULLY'S DAD:
I have to hear Kruk and Kuip.

(Kruk and Kuip refer to Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper, the wonderful Giants announcers on KNBR.)

SULLY:
But dad... if you are listening to the radio, you are hearing it before you are seeing it.

SULLY'S DAD:
The delay isn't bad.

SULLY'S MOM:
It's AWFUL. It's 30 seconds.

SULLY'S DAD:
It's NOT 30 seconds. It's about 11 seconds.

SULLY:
11 seconds? It might as well be a minute! You could be hearing "Long drive and it is GONE!" while the visual is the pitcher picking up the rosin bag.

SULLY'S MOM:
It drives me crazy.

SULLY'S DAD:
I just can't take Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

SULLY:
I know it is rough. I had to hear them call two Red Sox World Series titles. But you've got to bite the bullet on this and watch it live.

SULLY'S MOM:
Thank you!

SULLY'S DAD:
But baseball is basically a lot of talk and a highlight here and there. So most of the time it is fine to be out of sync. It only affects it on the big plays.

SULLY'S MOM:
Yeah, it only is annoying at the most exciting moments of the game.

SULLY:
Dad. Why don't you go into the living room and listen to KNBR and let mom watch the game without her feeling like she is watching a Godzilla movie?

SULLY'S DAD:
Maybe I will.


Today I found out that my dad "figured out how to get the radio in sync with the TV." I am sure it will work fine.

So Poppy... if you want to see the end of the game with the KNBR guys in SYNC... CLICK HERE.

And if you want to share my mom's experience, watch this movie:



Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. Heather Diamond11:37 AM

    Good stuff. My dad watches Sox games on mute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have any idea, if he has the dvr, maybe he can pause it until its in sync with the radio and then it should be fine the rest of the way? just a guess, but i think it could work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The radio is ahead of the TV. Pausing it will make the gap worse

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen on XM so the Radio is behind, so I then pause the dvr to make it in sync

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:45 PM

    It runs in the family. I watched game 3 out of sync. Listened to Larry Anderson and the rest of the Philly announcers. That let me do some work and listen at the same time, and when I wanted to see a play that I had just heard called, all I had to do was look up... no waiting for replay. You da man, Kev. Bill from Delaware

    ReplyDelete
  6. I run my MLB at bat app from my phone thru the speakers. That delay is like 12 seconds. Then I pause and fast forward with the DVR for a sync. You can use the snap of the catchers mitt as the slate sync point. It's great! Not only because you have better paced announcers, but because sometimes the meg whitman ad comes on the radio commercials when they're showing the talking investing babies commercials on tv. Its adorable, seeing those babies talk about how Jerry Brown is racist against jobs!

    ReplyDelete