Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's a lot like 1985 in Florida

OK... the Marlins finally did what I thought they should do. Edwin Rodriguez's managerial tenure ended.

Someone named Brandon Hyde managed today. Technically Hyde is the 6th manager that the Marlins have had since Jeffrey Loria took over the team in 2002.

I am guessing that there will be an 8th manager in 10 seasons.

But wait.

What's this coming from the woodwork?

Jack McKeon could be coming back!

Look, I know he showed up midway through the 2003 season and led the fish to the World Series title... but Jack McKeon was no spring chicken when he took over the Reds in 1997, let alone 2003!

He was 74 when he last managed in 2005.
That was 6 years ago.

He's an 80 year old man.

Seriously, why not sign Earl Weaver? He's still alive.

Suddenly the Marlins are reminding me of two of my favorite movies from 1985.

With McKeon they are going Back to the Future.

But McKeon could use something to make him young and vibrant. Well, Cocoon DID take place in Florida!

If I could have found a connection to Pee Wee's Big Adventure, then I would have hit the 1985 movies jackpot.

Follow sullybaseball on Twitter

1 comment: