Sunday, July 12, 2009

SULLY BASEBALL HONORS... The Thirtieth Anniversary of Disco Demolition Night




I remember watching the WBZ-4 coverage of this event when I was 7 years old.

I saw a riot in Comiskey Park and a fire on the field. I asked my dad "What caused that explosion?"

He replied, "They blew up a lot of records."

It almost seemed like a Non Sequitur. But being a second grader, I didn't know what Non Sequitur meant, so I nodded my head thinking when I got older, I'd understand.

I'm 30 years older and the events of July 12, 1979 still don't make a lick of sense.

As Dan Cronin, the brilliant Emmy winning writer for Conan O'Brien wrote to me "OK, we get it, you don't like disco. Put down the f-ckin dynamite!"

When stupidity reaches this level, it almost comes full circle to genius.

Almost... but not quite.

1 comment:

  1. Disco Demolition Night is easy to explain. If I had a paper and pencil, I'd do it as an algebraic equation, but I'll simplify it for typing:

    Mix together
    1. Hippies
    2. Generous portions of alcohol
    3. A cause to unite around (disco being more popular than Judy Collins screeching through a folk song)
    4. Explosives
    5. The mindset of the White Sox fan (ask former K.C. Royal coach Tom Gamboa what I mean)

    And you get Disco Demolition night. Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete