Friday, April 10, 2009

Washington fans... sometimes you just know


























Last summer, my wife and I went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on opening night.

After being burned by the Star Wars prequels, I went in with lower expectations for the Indy film. All I wanted was a couple of good action scenes and a nice scene with Marion.

But then the movie opened... and the very first shot was that prairie dog peaking out of the hole like in Caddyshack. I almost leaned over to my wife to say "Let's go home."

I didn't, but my instinct was correct. The film was a dog. And declaring it a dog from the first shot seems harsh, but I was right. I knew from that first shot the film was going to stink.

Sometimes you just know.

Which brings us to the Washington Nationals.

This season is only 3 games old... but like the prairie dog shot... I don't think it is too early to declare the season a dog.

The pitching stinks, the offense is a mess, there is nothing resembling defense and the division has too many legit contenders.

I know it isn't Easter yet, but if you are a Nationals fan, it's time to lower your expectations even lower than the ones I had for the last Indiana Jones film.

Look on the bright side!

You've got a veteran second baseman in Ronnie Belliard, a veteran outfielder in Austin Kearns, a veteran shortstop in Cristian Guzman and a lefty reliever in Joe Biemel that could all have some trade value!

There are going to be some injuries and contenders who need a spare part or two. Offer them up early! Let them know they are all available!

If you get rid of all of them, maybe they can net a good minor leaguer or two. Consider it to be your own unofficial draft.

And speaking of draft, you need to save up as much money as possible.

Now I already wrote about Stephen Strasburg who is being dubbed the next pitcher.


Often times those "can't miss" prospects miss and miss BADLY!

The Nationals might be putting themselves in a position where passing on him in the draft might be a public relations fiasco. Then again, if nobody gives a damn about the team, how much of a PR fiasco can it be?

I still maintain that if they are going to spend $50 million on their farm system, they are better off getting 20 or 30 good players rather than pushing all of their chips onto a Scott Boros client who will bolt the nanosecond he can.

Besides, they are probably going to get one of the top 2 picks in the 2010 draft as well... so they can stockpile that top of the draft talent like Tampa Bay did.

And of course the best news is Jim Bowden is gone.

So gone are the days where the GM is skimming the police blotters for new outfielders.

Gone are the days where personnel is hired after one question is asked: "Did you work for the Reds? YOU ARE HIRED!"

So maybe some of the veterans can be dealt...

Maybe the farm system can be replenished...

Maybe Strasberg will sign with the Nationals or maybe 3 or 4 other prospects will sign on.

Maybe there is hope.

But as for 2009... the prairie dog has already shown his face.


indiana jones gopher Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

  1. I know we stink, but I am a blind eyed optimist

    ReplyDelete